About:

Welcome

Howard as "Another Walt"

edited January 2015 in Thoughts and Comments
Through the blogs posted on this site, and from recollections recorded in documentaries, I have learned of the immensely powerful influence that Howard exerted on the casts and crews of the films and plays that bear his credit, especially in his vision for perfection in storytelling, as well as his sheer enthusiasm for whatever project he might be working on.

The late Roy Edward Disney (senior vice chairman of the Walt Disney Company [1984-2003]) once said the following in an interview for WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY: "I wouldn't want to compare Howard to [my uncle] Walt, but he did have that kind of influence on everybody." Furthermore, Don Hahn (director/narrator of WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY and producer of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE, and THE LION KING) said, "To us and to our generation, Howard was a Walt Disney type."

After finishing WALT DISNEY: THE TRIUMPH OF THE AMERICAN IMAGINATION (Neal Gabler, 2006), and learning more about Walt's influence on the people at the studio during HIS lifetime, as well as pondering over Roy's and Don's statements, I have been wondering: Did Howard, on some level or another, think of HIMSELF as the Walt Disney of his day?

I'm open to everyone's opinions, just to let you know.

Comments

• Personally, I think that the only way to know for sure would be to contact Howard in the spirit world, and ask him. (Of course, that's just wishful thinking.)
  • I think Howard would have been embarrassed to be compared to Walt Disney, but in a good way, because Walt Disney is the reason for all things Disney including the things that Howard loved so dearly in his life like the movies and Disneyland. I think he would have been like "Woah! I don't know about that!" He would have thought it was too far fetched.
  • edited January 2015
    @Danielle_McKenna123 Since you put it that way, I suppose you're right, Howard would probably not be too quick to agree; he'd most likely err on the side of humility, if you know what I mean. But, as they say, emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, ne c'est pas?