About:

Welcome

How Howard Would React to the Hand-Drawn Animated Musicals from DreamWorks

edited November 2014 in Thoughts and Comments
Reading people's comments of how they believe Howard would view the Disney animated musicals that came after "Aladdin" (with particular attention being paid to "Tangled", "Tarzan" and "The Princess and the Frog", though "Pocahontas", "Lion King" and "Brother Bear" are mentioned in passing) got me to thinking about animated musical films produced by other studios, with particular focus on those from DreamWorks Pictures. More specifically, I am referring to the first three of a total four hand-drawn pictures that the studio produced- "The Prince of Egypt", "The Road to El Dorado" and "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron". I consider these to be the best animated films that Disney and Pixar did not produce, not only for the breathtaking animation (combining traditional techniques with CGI), but also for the incredible songs written for each film (Stephen Schwartz [lyricist of Disney's "Pocahontas" and "Hunchback of Notre Dame"] on "Prince of Egypt", Elton John and Tim Rice [fresh off their success with "The Lion King"] on "El Dorado", and Bryan Adams on "Spirit"; I should mention the scores for all of the above films were written by Hans Zimmer [previously the composer of "Lion King" and "Power of One" {the latter a live-action nonmusical from Warner Bros., based on a novel by Bryce Courtenay}]). My favorite songs from each respective film are "When You Believe", "It's Tough to be a God", and "I Will Always Return". The first and last songs, especially, are among the greatest anthems in animation history, along with "Colors of the Wind", "Circle of Life" and "Part of Your World".
I know that Howard would have SOMETHING to say about the song scores for each of these movies, but for the life of me, I can't determine what that might be. If he were anything like me, he'd probably be most drawn to the songs "I Will Always Return" and "When You Believe".
Does anyone else have any brainstorms about Howard's potential view of these three DreamWorks movies? That would be most appreciated.

Comments

• I would love to properly comment on this, but unfortunately I've never seen these 2D Dreamworks movies, well actually I saw part of The Prince of Egypt at school a few years back, but I don't remember 99 percent of it. Just the part where I think a baby was in the water. I apologize.
  • Well, if you ever get the chance, watch "Prince of Egypt", "El Dorado" and "Spirit"; they are SPLENDID films.