About:

Welcome

Waking Sleeping Beauty

edited October 2011 in Disney
It's been over a year since the release of Waking Sleeping Beauty! What was your favorite part of the documentary? What was your favorite Disney movie from the period?

If you haven't seen the documentary, here is the link to the trailer: http://www.wakingsleepingbeautymovie.com/

Comments

• i haven't seen this film yet (waking sleeping beauty), but i do remember the first time i saw "the little mermaid"! i was 5 at the time, so this is definitely one of my earliest memories-- my dad took me to see the film and my closest friend growing up was, as a surprise, waiting for me at the cinema! i will never forget how happy i was seeing this film, and we never went to see a disney film without each other after that! i can remember endless car rides, singing with the windows down, and all of my disney princess halloween costumes. this was definitely a golden-age of disney (at least for my 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 year-old self!!), and i will never forget the wonderful words and songs that i sang in my youth. i can't wait to watch this documentary and to learn more about the man behind the music and these happy memories, howard ashman!!!
  • oh, and as for my favorite movie-- definitely beauty and the beast!
  • My favorite part is, of course, the part about The Poet, Howard. I even thought about showing it to the film-making class I was apart of. It's great as it's own piece.

And my favorite film from the period (Oliver to Lion King) has to be Lion King, followed by Beauty. Both are just pieces of art.
  • If you watch the DVD, be sure to look at the extras, because there is a lot more about Howard Ashman there. My favorite part was the lecture to the Disney artists, I wish they had included more of it. And my favorite film from those years was Beauty and the Beast, which was amazing on the big screen.
  • FYI - I love this documentary! I had dreams of becoming a Disney animator in my youth, but just didn't go the distance to get there.

I saw WSB in Chicago with Don Hahn and Peter Schneider attending, and the documentary I felt, was a great way to remember those times, but not make it so heavy-handed, that you got towed down into the background fighting by Eisner and Katzenberg.

I find something rather touching about Hahn's last lines, how after all the cold pizza, in-fighting, and long nights, noone will really remember all that went on behind-the-scenes, but they will remember the characters, the music, and the films...and that's how it should be.

Even so, the parts with Howard I felt were a great insight, even on the DVD's inclusion of part of his animator's lecture, and coaching Jodi Benson.

I saw Don this August at 'Destination D's animation event' at the Disneyland Hotel, and said another 'Hi' and again thanked him for the job he did on the film. There was supposed to be a showing of a Director's Cut of the film, but due to the time and programming, they cut it out of the closing night. This was probably just-as-well, as it was to follow the performance by Alan Menken.
  • I really love the documentary, think they did a good job splicing the home videos, interviews, and drawings. The parts on Howard Ashman, I'm glad they both acknowledged what he contributed, but told us about him as a person as well, not just as an artist. Layering his death with the Beast's death scene from the Beauty and the Beast film festival footage was very moving.
  • I adore this documentary. I just wish the DVD included the entire Disney seminar, and the entire coaching-with-Jodi-Benson sequence instead of just parts of them. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the whole version of that. Makes me tear up (and makes me SUPER jealous of Jodi Benson, LOL!)
  • does anyone know what song is playing during the scene where they're talking about their last visit with howard? its just piano. with the footage of new york and the taxis. it carries over into the hospital visit. its incredible.
  • Frankly, I loved the whole film. I'm really fascinated by the history of Disney Animation Studios, and I had previously only heard about the events of the Disney Renaissance from "The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms and Beyond" (Christopher Finch), and from the behind-the-scenes featurettes of a few movies ("The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast", to be exact). Everything about the film is absolutely wonderful. If I had a note, though, it would be about the compilation of film images before the end credits: For one thing, I would appreciate it if, in addition to "Little Mermaid", "Roger Rabbit", "Aladdin", "Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast", "Nightmare Before Christmas", "Great Mouse Detective", and "Rescuers Down Under", they had shown clips from a few films that came later in the Renaissance period, preferably "Pocahontas", "Mulan" and "Tarzan". In addition, when it got to Jodi's last line in the reprise of "Part of Your World", it actually showed Ariel climbing over the rock as the waves crashed behind her, then cut to Tarzan lifting the dead Sabor over his head and yelling, and the close-up of Simba roaring after ascending Pride Rock (before it dissolves to the celebration of Kiara's birth, and the reprise of "Circle of Life"), all of them harmonizing (for lack of a better word), followed by the close-up of Pocahontas as she watches the Susan Constant sail away at the end of "Pocahontas" and then, as the last notes played, it faded to black, and then transitioned to the old Walt Disney Pictures logo, which features the white silhouette of the Sleeping Beauty castle in front a clear blue background (I really wish they'd bring it back).
    I just have to say, looking back on that film, which I consider to be the single greatest documentary that I have seen in recent years (with the possible exception of "The Last Lions", from National Geographic). Also, the story told in "Waking Sleeping Beauty" somehow leads me to thinking about the closing narration of "Dinosaur", which states: "None of us know what changes, big or small, lie ahead. One thing is certain: our journey is not over. We can only hope that, in some small way, our time here will be remembered." I hope that holds true for Disney Animation Studios, and that they will continue to create magic for generations to come.