About:

Welcome

Beauty and The Books

edited August 2011 in Disney
Thinking about Belle - and her books. Any ideas what she's reading these days?

Comments

• If Twilight's in the library, then I'm gonna find that enchantress. :P haha
  • Good lord, what a thought. Probably Harry Potter's there. I was thinking maybe The Once And Future King - oh, and Princess Bride.
  • Belle strikes me as a hipster. I doubt she'd read anything popular like Twilight or Harry Potter.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, I really doubt she'd be in the Twilight fandom. She's too good and too smart for that. lol

But what I was thinking was that maybe she could be reading some of Andrew Lang's books of fairy tales and legends. Or even, and this was said in a deleated scene of the film, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Also, I've heard of that Surland fairy tale website you talked about. My Mythology teacher showed it to us so we can read some of the fairy tales on it. I really enjoy it a lot.
  • Reading Le Morte D'Arthur like in the broadway musical, well just stage musical now, and if she reads Once and Future King, would she read the book of merlyn which is the true last chapter?
  • Beastly also, and maybe Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Thanks for the memories of Once and Future King, Austin - a book I adored, read and reread, when I was younger.
  • edited November 2014
    I think that Belle might enjoy the Jade del Cameron mystery series, by Suzanne Arruda (they're all set in far-off places [Africa, to be exact], which Belle mentions of her favorite book [whose title is never given]). Here are the 6 titles in the series (the first of which I still have yet to find, unfortunately), in chronological order: "Mark of the Lion", "Stalking Ivory", "The Serpent's Daughter", "The Leopard's Prey", "Treasure of the Golden Cheetah", "The Crocodile's Last Embrace".
    I also think that she would like three ancient-Egyptian-themed historical fiction novels by Michelle Moran- "Nefertiti", "The Heretic Queen", and "Cleopatra's Daughter".
    She may also want to check out the following: "Wicked" and its sequels (all by Gregory Maguire); "Water for Elephants" (Sara Gruen); and "Animal Dreams", "The Bean Trees", "Poisonwood Bible", and "Pigs in Heaven" (all Barbara Kingsolver).
  • Lots of fairy tales, for sure! Perrault, Christian Andersen, Brothers Grimm, "The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night"... Also Jules Verne's books.

When they added "Human Again" in the movie they also put a new little scene with Belle reading "Romeo and Juliet" to Beast, so she obviously likes Shakespeare.

And there are two favorites of mine that I think she'd absolutely love:
    -"La vida es sueño" (Life is a Dream), a play by Calderón de la Barca. "The story focuses on the fictional Segismundo, Prince of Poland, who has been imprisoned in a tower by his father, King Basilio, following a dire prophecy that the prince would bring disaster to the country and death to the King. Basilio briefly frees Segismundo, but when the prince goes on a rampage, the king imprisons him again, persuading him that it was all a dream" (from Wikipedia). It includes far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells and a prince in disguise, so I think Belle would enjoy it.
    -"Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince) by Saint-Exupéry. It's just such a sweet book, and at one point it even has a rose inside a glass globe!