About:

Welcome

Gay marriage is legal in New York. The sun has risen over Sheridan Square.

edited June 2011 in Songs
That's all.

<3

Comments

• Great comment. And true (though the sun won't shine until there's a true cure for AIDS)
  • So weird; the night the bill passed, I had just come home from Little Shop rehearsal and was listening to "Sheridan Square," and then I saw the news, complete with a photo of people celebrating in Sheridan Square. I just about lost it.

It's interesting to listen to that song in retrospect, because it was written at a time when AIDS was associated so heavily with the gay population, and so many people thought it was God's punishment for the existence of homosexuality. When I first heard the song, it seemed to me to have a strong undertone of self-doubt, even some tentative shame, and that's what was most affecting about it to me, the idea that someone could feel shamed or punished for just being, living, and loving, rather than doing anything wrong.

And now, there is no place for such shame or doubt in New York. Our little corner of the world has become a brighter and more tolerant place. We're fighting the good fight against homophobia, AIDS, and every sad and stereotypical link that the two ever had to one another. And we're winning.
  • Homophobia is the new racism. I'm glad the world's slowly coming to its senses.

It never made sense to me how certain people find the idea of shunning someone because they're different SICK, and yet do it themselves. People are confusing.
  • "Homophobia is the new racism." = YES.

The concept of homosexuality never seemed weird or different to me, even before I knew of its societal implications. I remember being in preschool, and my best friend and I were playing with dolls, and we decided that our two favorite female dolls were going to get married. We didn't know any gay couples, or have any concept of homosexuality, only of love, and weddings. Nobody had ever discussed it with us, for better or for worse. It just automatically made sense to us that two women could get married just as easily as a man and a woman.

I mean, we were four years old and that was the natural, logical conclusion we drew. Why did it take 20 more years for the rest of New York to figure it out too?