About:

Welcome

Howard's Influence on New Disney?

I'm curious about opinions on contemporary Disney musicals (let's say, the past ten years) and Howard's influence on them.

What, in you guys' opinion, is the most similar Disney movie that's come out in recent years to Howard's work, just in sentiment? So obviously by that I mean just musicals, which kind of leaves it to Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, and Moana (unless I'm missing one). Personally I don't think any of them are as elevated as what Howard did but the character development in Tangled came closest for me as far as the heart goes by building love for a character through song. I can say the same for Princess and the Frog, and Moana clearly in my opinion has an aching "I want" song in the vein of something like Part of Your World. But Frozen just doesn't do it for me. Something about it feels sterile.

Thoughts?

Comments

• In my opinion, the one that has the most theatrical feel to it- and thus most recalls the Broadway-style animated musicals of the Disney Renaissance- is THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG. TANGLED and MOANA seem to have more of a popular music vibe, and FROZEN... well, I'm not sure.