About:

Welcome

Favorite / Least Favorite Non-Howard Disney Film?

edited April 2013 in Disney
Pretty simple: What is your favorite and or least favorite non-Howard Disney film, either classic or renaissance, musical or straight, animated or live action?

My favorite is Pinocchio. I don't know why, but it's just one of those movies, like Little Shop, that just grabs my attention, entertains me, and makes me come back again and again. It's adult enough to not make me feel a bit childish just watching it like some others (*cough*Tangled*cough*), the story was handled perfectly, and the voice actors / animators were cast flawlessly. And, not to mention the beautiful animation and scenery. I can watch it endlessly and it never gets old.

My least favorite is Mary Poppins. I don't know what it is, but it's never really grabbed me. I'm not quite sure if it's the film's pacing, the story or songs being slightly mishandled, the casting being a bit off, or even just how it looks (the film is in a bit of a need for a restoration, that's for sure), but, even though I try, I can never get 100% behind it. (I must also mention Fantasia here. Don't get me wrong! The film's beautiful, it's wonderfully scored, and I can appreciate what a masterpiece it is. But I just can never get into it.)

Comments

• Oh god, I can't stand Pinocchio. Then again, I haven't watched since I was a child, and I was absolutely traumatized by every single bit of anything in it. Even the thought of watching it scares the hell out of me. :P I also don't really care for the Fantasia-films. I get it, they're brilliant. They are also *incredibly* boring to watch and I never manage to watch either one of them in one sitting.

My favourite non-Howard film is probably Wreck-it Ralph or Tangled. The first because it's just a solid movie and it made me teary-eyed both times I saw it in cinemas. The latter... Well, it's not because I think it's the best movie there is or anything, but it reminded me of The Little Mermaid in many ways and that in turn reminded me of why I love animation - and Disney. I ended up studying animation because of Tangled. (Though the film I've watched the most times, not counting The Little Mermaid, is The Emperor's New Groove. I still know it by heart in both Norwegian and English.)
  • I think my favorite might be Sleeping Beauty. Or Cinderella. And the lullaby in Dumbo knocks me out.
  • @Speilbilde - I know how you feel about Pinocchio. I never really watched it all that much as a kid, and I had the exact same feelings about The Wizard of Oz. (I remember being completely terrified by everything in it.) But, I feel like the fear that we have about films like this just, if not go away, becomes less severe as we grow up. (Though, I do understand. It is really, really dark in places.) :)

@Sarah - Cinderella will always have a place in my heart. It was my childhood favorite, and when I found my old VHS copy and decided to pop it in and watch, it started at the point I had last stopped it about 10 years before and my mind immediately flashed back to that moment. (What was also a bit touchy-feely for me is that I was in the same room it happened in.) I'm not gonna say I cried, but it was a sentimental moment for me.
  • For a favorite, hands down, The Lion King. I remember watching it with my grandfather when I was four years old, and had such a great big emotional attatchment to him that, to this day, I still consider it to be our movie. That any and every time I watch it, it makes me think of him, and having him sit by my side, watching it like old times.

Non favorite, it's a bit of a hard one for me. I can't really think of any Disney film that I would say I absolutly hate with all my heart. But, if I had to just throw something out there, I would have to say Dinasour. Mostly because it seemed like a wasted opportunity: something to help re-enact the Rite of Spring sequence from Fantasia (I know it's not quite a favorite, but I still enjoy it), but with a coherent plot. Not to mention, when I first saw the trailer eons ago, the first thing that came to my mind was The Land Before Time and thought that this was just a rip-off of that movie.
  • My favorite non-Howard ANIMATED Disney film is a tie between "Lion King" and "Pocahontas". Both are simply PHENOMENAL, especially with the musical scores written by Hans Zimmer and Alan Menken, respectively. And my favorite songs from these films are "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" and "Colors of the Wind".
    Of all the live-action Disney films I've seen, high on my fave list are "Homeward Bound", "Newsies", "Enchanted", and "Whispers: An Elephant's Tale".
    As for my least favorite, I'm going to have to say "Fantasia". The animation and music are OK-ish, but it ain't really my cup of tea. "Fantasia 2000", on the other hand, is a different matter.