About:

Welcome

Remembering Howard

edited March 2015 in Thoughts and Comments
As the 24th anniversary of Howard's passing draws near (and not too long [comparatively] after the anniversaries of LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and ALADDIN, to boot), it really humbles one to think of just how much of an impact one person can have on the whole world.

As I have learned more about Howard's life and work, I find myself completely in awe of who he was, both as an artist and as a human being. It's just so hard to imagine how greatly the realms of theatre and animation have changed as a result of his contributions. It's especially hard for one who never knew him personally to fathom how much he meant to those who knew and loved him, and whom he loved back. Apropos of this, I feel that the impact he had on those around him is best expressed in the song "For Good", from WICKED, which states:

"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow, if we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know that I am who I am today because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the Sun (Like a ship blown from its moorings by a wind off the sea)
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through a wood (Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood)
Who can say if I've been changed for the better
I do believe I have been changed for the better
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good"